A Handy Guide to Household Mold
Anytime someone hears the word mold, it can make their face cringe. Mold is not only nasty from the musty smell and gross look it has – some mold can actually be very dangerous to breathe in.
What are the different types of common household mold?
Mold comes in all types of colors. The most common types of mold that are found in homes are stachybotrys atra, cladosporium, and aspergilus. Aspergilus is more of an allergy mold that is found on the inside of the home. It is commonly found on foods or in air conditioning systems.
Cladosporium is black or dark green in color. It is often found on painted surfaces or behind toilets. This mold is nontoxic but can still cause allergy problems such as sore throats or watery, itchy eyes.
Any mold that is found outside the home will typically be orange or red in color. This mold is completely harmless and does not have to be removed immediately unless it gives the homeowners allergy problems. It can be found on moist wood or decaying plants. White mold can be found in some homes but is uncommon and means that the mold is in its early stage. White mold is easy to remove.
What is the most dangerous type of mold?
The most dangerous type of mold is stachybotrys atra. This is also known as black mold. This mold is very toxic and can even be deadly to humans. Small children and pets are at higher risks of health problems from this type of mold compared to adults. This mold grows in dark, moist places like in cabinets in the kitchen or bathroom.
What are the health risks?
If you are around black mold and inhale large amounts of it you can suffer from several types of medical conditions. Those conditions can include the following:
- Eye Irritation
- Central Nervous System Problems
- Sinus Congestion or Nasal Congestion
- Chronic Fatigue
- Sore Throat
- Aches and Pains Throughout Body
What should you do if you find mold in your home?
If you find any type of mold in your home and are unsure of the type of mold you found, you should contact a mold removal company right away. The technician is going to be able to test the mold and find out if it is toxic or nontoxic. They will also be able to remove all mold using the right type of chemicals and ensure that it has not spread to other areas of the home.
Mold can spread very quickly if it is not treated right away. The professional may ask that any children or pets residing in your home to be evacuated during the cleanup process. If mold is not visible but there is a musty smell, this means that mold is more than likely present. It is important to contact a mold removal company immediately to ensure if the musty smell is in fact mold or not.